This has nothing to do with cosmetics but I'm getting super excited to go abroad so I thought I'd share what's been put on my iPod for this trip!


10. So Danco Samba performed by Joao Gilberto and Stan Getz, written by Antonio Carlos Jobim. 


I'm pretty much obsessed with bossa nova music and so, this is just the tip of the iceberg. I especially love listening to it on long flights as it is so relaxing and gets you in the vacation mood. Also, I very much recommend bossa nova if you're going to a tropical destination. There's nothing like listening to "The Girl From Ipanema" while sitting on a beach drinking a cocktail.


Other similar favourites: "Light My Fire" (The Doors cover) by Astrud Gilberto, Blue Monday cover by Nouvelle Vague, Ever Fallen in Love cover by Nouvelle Vague, Don't Go cover by Nouvelle Vague


9. The Flower of Carnage by Meiko Kaji


This is another great relaxing song to listen to after dealing with the Vogons Airport Security. Technically I'm not on vacation whilst I'm in the airport but I'm still listening to my iPod so I thought I'd cheat a little and include this. By the way, yes I did totally find this song because of Kill Bill.


Other similar favourites: The Lonely Shepherd by Zamfir, Battle Without Honour by Tomoyasu Hotei - listen to this while walking around to feel like a BAMF. 


8. Asian Hooker by Steel Panther


Seriously. I love Steel Panther too much. Listen to this whilst walking through the historical legendary sights of Europe to add some humour into the somewhat morbid history. Also, if you're feeling stressed, this is the best picker-upper. I mean, from their hilarious lyrics ("What did you have to do/ For that backstage pass / Cause I found a Poison laminate inside of your ass") to their kickass licks, Steel Panther will cheer you up or get rid of your jet lag or make you feel okay that you were harassed by gypsies. 


Other similar favourites: Weenie Ride by Steel Panther, Girl From Oklahoma by Steel Panther, Just Like Tiger Woods by Steel Panther, and Party All Day by Steel Panther


7. Un Bel di Vedremo aria from the opera, "Madame Butterfly" by Giacomo Puccini as sung by Maria Callas


All right fine, so you don't want to walk around the breathtaking cities of Europe listening to Steel Panther. Fine, I guess you can listen to some opera.
Madame Butterfly and Carmen are my two favourite operas and I listen to at least one aria from each every day. I can't help but be drawn to the female leads of each opera. So fragile yet strong at the same time. Anyways, I could go on and on about the operas themselves but we're here to talk about the music! I chose to include this aria since it's my favourite from the entire opera and I feel it matches more to the grand feeling of walking on the cobblestone streets of western and central Europe. "Un Bel di Vedremo" is about the main character Cio-Cio-San waiting anxiously for her lover, Pinkerton, to come back from the navy and so, she is hoping and wondering about him. The anxiousness of the song can really be felt by the listener and combined with the anxiousness of going on vacation, it's will either put you at ease or build up even more excitement and suspense for your vacation. The latin gypsy flavour of Carmen works well if you're going to the Mediterranean.  


Other similar favourites (composers): O Mio Babbino Caro by Puccini, Seguidilla by Bizet, L'amour Est Un Oiseau by Bizet, Casta Diva by Bellini, Duo Des Fleurs by Delibes, Quando M'en Vo by Puccini. 
Other similar favourites (singers): Anna Netrebko, Renatta Tebaldi, Montserrat Caballe, Elina Garanca, Angela Gheorghiu


6.  You Make My Dreams Come True by Hall & Oates


I don't care how cheesy this is. I love this song. That's all.


Other Similar Favourites: I Can't Go For That by Hall & Oates


5. Csardas by Vittorio Monti 
I've pretty much always been obsessed with gypsy music (see #2 below) and since I'm actually going to be in Hungary, I feel like it's justified now. "Csardas" was actually composed by an Italian but it epitomizes the Hungarian gypsy (Roma) feel so well that it's become a staple in my iPod.  Csardas is actually supposed to be just a term for a traditional Hungarian folk dance. The more you know!


Other Similar Favourites: Hungarian Dance No. 2 by Brahms, Hungarian Dance No. 5 by Brahms, Lela Pala Tute by Gogol Bordello, My Companjera by Gogol Bordello, Sun Is On my Side by Gogol Bordello


4. Bien O Mal by Julieta Venegas
   
This Mexican singer-songwriter has the beachy/latin genre down. Listening to her music makes me so happy no matter what mood I initially start out with so this is good to have on your iPod just in case you feel down.


Other Similar Favourites: Eres Para Mi by Julieta Venegas, Sin Documentos by Julieta Venegas, Me Voy by Julieta Venegas, Objection Tango by Shakira


3.  Whatever Lovers Say by Nadeah
I am obsessed with Nadeah. First of all, she looks like Brigitte Bardot and has that effortless French chic air about her (except for the tiny fact that she's Australian) and 2) she is a brilliant songwriter. This song reminds me of French chansons from the 60s with a hint of Russian pop. She combines great melodies with brilliant lyrics so effortlessly. For example on her album "Venus Gets Even" she has songs titled "Even Quadriplegics Get the Blues", "I Burned a Cowboy at the Melbourne Airport", and "An Asylum on New Year's Eve". She is so underrated and deserves to be absolutely huge. I really hope she tours North America soon since she pretty much exclusively tours France and Australia and is supposed to be fantastic live.


Other Similar Favourites: Get Off (Prince cover) by Nadeah, Nobody But You by Nadeah, Sticks and Stones by The Pierces


2. (Pretty much the entire cartoon) Бременские музыканты (Musicians From Bremen)
So when I was little and my parents didn't want to watch me (aka I was being annoying), they'd pop in this cartoon into the VHS and I'd shut up and watch it. They had to stop eventually because I pretty much became addicted and had to watch it at least three times a day. Nobody could make a noise in the house when this musical was on. I had to hear every note, every word, and every "yeah" from the donkey (Reference). My absolute favourite song from the entire musical was the one I linked below. I guess the gypsy flavours of the song stuck with me since now whenever I hear gypsy music, I feel all nostalgic and warm. I can't wait to visit Hungary and listen to some real Roma music live.


Other Similar Favourites: Nash Sosed by Angelika Varum, A Nam Vse Ravno by Yuriy Nikulin, Moxnatiy Shmel by Gestokiy Romans 

1. So, I'm having a really hard time deciding what to put for number 1. So I'm going to put in two songs. Why? BECAUSE I CAN. Okay, so here they are.

I Will Wait For You (Main Theme From Les Parapluies de Cherbourg) by Michel Legrand
This is pretty much my No. 1 favourite song of all time. It's from my mom's favourite movie (Les Parapluies de Cherbourg) and so I grew up with the soundtrack always being played in the house. I love the lyrics but most of all, I love the melody. It just reminds me of a rainy afternoon in Paris. Some songs just stick with you for your whole life and this is mine. 



Entre Dos Aguas played by Paco De Lucia
For some reason unbeknownst to me, I love spanish flamenco music. A lot. This is my favourite. It's great for vacation especially if you're going to Spain. Oh my god, Spain. One day I'll travel through all of Spain (big cities, small villages, all of it) stopping in each place to listen to some great Spanish Flamenco guitar.


Other Similar Favourites: Rodrigo Y Gabriela, Gypsy Kings, Alex Fox, Juan Serrano, Oscar Lopez, Amur 

So that's it! Of course, these are just my favourites to listen to while on vacation and I have many other favourites...

Love,
Alona
x

0 Responses to 'Fun Post: My Top 10 Favourite Songs to Listen to On Vacation!'

Post a Comment


Blog Archive